Saturday, August 4, 2012

Focus and Discipline

I have been surfing the net and thinking about my own experiences and circumstances, while considering what the direct focus of my blog will be. I am not currently in the childcare field, yet have a great deal of experience. I am not exactly out of the field either, as I keep up date on current research with my job, and stay home with my own two younger children every day.
I appreciate the blogs that I have been reading that have incredible planning ideas, or those that offer great recipes for children. These are things that I can use on a daily basis, while also adapting them for my own needs. They are, however, not areas I can effectively discuss on an ongoing basis; although I will offer ideas as they come up. I have come to realize that the one area of childcare that I know well on a professional level, and deal with each and everyday on a personal level is the ongoing issue of guidance and discipline.
I teach a first year course in the ELCC program titled "Guiding Behavior" and tell my students the very first day that this will most likely be the most important course they take in their two year diploma program. Looking at program planning, children's supports and business administration are all very important and cannot be overlooked; however, learning how to deal with children's emotions and their reactions to these emotions is life-long learning. Even when I took the Early Childhood program myself, the course that impacted me the most was the one that taught me how to effectively talk, listen, and discipline. This helped me in my career, and still helps me today with my own children, and let's face it, with my husband as well! I look forward to offering support, answering questions, and continuing my own growth as a parent and child care professional through this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment